Sunday, March 9, 2008

Brownies


This weekend I tried my hand at the Chewy, Fudgey, Triple Chocolate Brownies in Baking Illustrated. There were two reasons I chose this particular recipe. First today is our friend Mandy's birthday, she loves brownies so I wanted to make them for her. Second my Aunt Cathy sent me this awesome brownie pan for my birthday that I just had to try out. It is called the Bakers Edge Brownie Pan and it gives each and every brownie at least two crispy/chewy edges which I love.






The recipe calls for three types of chocolate, unsweetened, semisweet, and cocoa powder. You melt the chocolate with one stick of butter before adding to the eggs, sugar, vanilla and only one cup of flour. Due to the minimal amount of flour I expected the brownies to be very fudgey (which is how I like them) but they turned out somewhere in the middle of fudgey and cakey leaning more towards cakey. They were very tasty but I was not happy with the texture. I am wondering if they may have baked too long. The instructions for the pan warns that the brownies will bake much faster than those baked in traditional brownie pans. I think I will try this recipe again with the new pan and with a traditional pan to see if that makes a difference.


The pan did make a cool design which is photo worthy. I really like the pan a lot, just need to do some experimenting and adjust the cooking time. Cathy also sent me a peanut butter brownie recipe that she created that I will make for Peter sometime soon.

Thank you Aunt Cathy for such a cool gift!

No comments: