Monday, January 21, 2008

Ate Dinner Out...Couldn't Risk it Again

Tonight after returning home from a rather boring and mind numbing day at work we decided that the only remedy would be to eat Mexican food. This did the trick temporarily, to restore brain function, however my belly is still uncomfortably full of cheese and tortilla chips. Because of this I decided that we could not risk this feeling again by eating lunch out tomorrow so I made the dinner I had planned for this evening.

Springtime Pork Stew, even though spring feels years away, I was drawn to this recipe for all of the great colorful veggies it calls for. Once again from The Martha Stewart Living- Classics Cookbook (can anyone tell I just received the two Martha Stewart Living books as gifts). Here are the beginnings of this colorful stew.


Start with browning the pork, I had pork tenderloin on hand so that is what I used. I would not recommend a fatty cut of pork as the recipe is intended to be low in fat and calories, I also think it would make the stew greasy.


Then remove the pork from the pot and add 1/2 cup of chicken stock followed by the sturdier root vegetable; onions, celery & carrots. After cooking these for about 5 minutes, to soften, in goes the softer vegetables; zucchini & peppers.

Then the pork is added back in with a can of whole tomatoes. The stew simmers for 20 minutes and then is to be served over rice.

I have only taste tested for flavor and so far I am pleased. I will comment back tomorrow after enjoying it for lunch, and fingers crossed, I will hopefully be happy to report that Peter enjoyed it too, zucchini and all.

No comments: