Sunday, July 6, 2008

Creamy Salad's for the 4th of July

I love the 4th of July! It marks the true beginning of summer which means great times with friends and of course delicious food!

This 4th of July weekend was a lot of fun and very busy. We had several parties to go to starting with our annual holiday feast at the office. This year I made pasta salad which is one of my favorite summer foods. I was looking for a traditional recipe with a twist and I think that this one from Foodnetwork.com hit the spot, http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_14130,00.html. It is creamy, crunchy, spicy and satisfying.


The salad as easy to make but had several steps and a lot of ingredients. Also, it should be noted that although the salad is delicious it will do nothing for your breath! :-)


We had two other parties to attend on the 4th and I had plans to make some other treats, however this salad made so much that I had enough to bring to these two parties as well! This one is a keeper, I will make it again for sure.


With one more party left on Saturday the 5th I was out of pasta salad so I made potato salad (my apologies, I forgot to take a photo). This recipe is my mom's which she taught me years and years ago. I LOVE it and make it whenever I have the opportunity.


1 lbs. tender potatoes (I usually use small red potatoes)

1 lg. green pepper- seeded & chopped

2 stalks celery- chopped

3 scallions- chopped

4 eggs- hard boiled & chopped

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup yellow mustard

1 tbls. garlic salt

1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper


Boil potatoes until tender, cool to room temperature and quarter into bite sized pieces.


In a large bowl combine the potatoes and all the vegetables. In a small bowl combine the mayo, mustard and seasoning, then mix in with the potato mixture. Fold in eggs.


Chill for at least two hours before serving.

No comments: